Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's on my nightstand: Percy Jackson series

Currently, I have two books on my nightstand, but I will only be writing about one this time!

I've started the "Percy Jackson" series and I must say, it is exciting! I am hooked! I literally read until I fall asleep - which I hardly ever do!

Currently, I'm reading "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan. It is the first book in a series of at least five books. My husband and I watched the book-turned-movie this summer and I have to say, I was not too impressed. I ordered the books through Scholastic for my students and brought the first one home for Mr. Woods to read. He started telling me how great the book was and I was still skeptical - then he said the magic words: "The book is WAY better than the movie!" So, he is now reading/finishing the second book and I have begun the first.

Percy Jackson is a misunderstood sixth grader. He lives with his mother and step-father in New York and has been sent away to boarding schools for as long as he can remember. He is starting to get into more and more trouble at school and his difficulty reading is really affecting his grades. However, strange things began happening around him and now he can't tell if he is seeing things, losing his mind, of if the other students are all playing a trick on him. Even his best friend Grover is acting different. Then, while on a field trip with his class, his teacher transforms into a ------ Did you think I was going to tell you the entire story??? Go get the book and start reading!!!

P.S. Students, I do have two copies of all five books - however, one set is at my house. As Mr. Woods and I finish them, I will be bringing them back to the classroom library. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Girl!! It's such a great book!! Soooooooooo much better than the movie!! I'm on the 2nd one now :)

    ReplyDelete